Thursday, September 06, 2012

Homemade beef and ale pie

 
Last week I decided to make my first ever pie. Considering how easy it was to make i'm surprised I hadn't made one before. I decided on a beef pie, but to give it an extra something adding a whole bottle of ale to give it some extra flavour.
 
To start heat a little oil in a pan and lightly fry a whole onion until softened then remove from the pan. After lightly coating my braising beef in some seasoned flour I browned it in the pan. Once browned add the onions back into the pan, add a whole bottle of ale along with 3 beef stock cubes. I only added about half a pint of water to the mix as I like my pie filling quite thick but if you prefer it thinner then simply add some more water. Simmer on a low heat for about an hour until the meat is tender, remebering to stir occasionally. When ready, seperate into individual pie dishes making sure that everyone has a generous portion of beef. Then simply top with the pastry.
 
I cheated and bought Jus-Rol's puff pastry (I won't tell anyone if you won't). After topping my pie dish with the pastry I brushed it with some egg yolk and popped it into the oven. Bake in the oven until crisp and golden. Next time I'm going to try a chicken and mushroom pie in a white wine sauce.
 
It was truly scrumptious, a simple recipe which doesn't contain lots of fancy herbs but who says a tasty meal has to be complicated! A lovely warm and hearty meal.
 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment