Thursday, April 18, 2013

NHS Documentary: Keeping Britain Alive

Yesterday I managed to finally catch an episode of Keeping Britain Alive: The NHS in a day. I love medical shows and documentaries, they are often so heart-wrenching and moving. With this show however I just couldn't decide on whether I liked it or not. Some parts of the show made me quite annoyed and somewhat angry, showing us what the NHS is spending/wasting money on when personally I think it could be making much better use of. There were some fantastic parts of the show when you see a tetraplegic man in such great spirits and taking his daughter out for the first time. Some of the stories they show you make you really realise how lucky you are and how life can change so quickly. One part I really disliked was the virtual doctor, in which a robot goes around the wards and a doctor makes video calls to the patients instead of dealing with them in person. If I was a patient in that hospital being treated over an internet connection I don't think I would feel very confident in the care I was receiving. Some of the treatments that the NHS provide are truly incredible, like the nipple tattooing for women who have suffered with breast cancer, something that until I watched this show, I was unaware that it was even available.
It's on again next Tuesday at 9pm on BBC Two.

Did you see the show and if so what did you think of it?
x

No comments:

Post a Comment